Star Citizen - 1.2 is live

Outfit- and General- News Section

This night the 1.2 patch of the Star Citizen alpha went live to everyone.
I can't say anything about download sizes since I started the process on my machine yesterday before leaving in the late afternoon but supposedly it's somewhere around 30GB.
For that you'll get (theoretical) access to the first instance of the multiplayer area "ArcCorp Landing Zone 18".
Theoretical because right now the PTU is offline due to some bugfixing after the first stress test with some thousand players selected randomly for the different servers worldwide.

Once the PTU is back up you can load into the game as usual and should have the large hangar doors right behind you (for the R&Y hangar they're one level up). Enter these and to the right is a smaller door to a lift which will pop open an input field.
Select ArcCorp there and you should be transported to the multiplayer area.
According to folks from Neutral Security Agency there's not that much to do right now, you can basically walk around, use the AR overlay (F2) on different items in some shops and to see players names and start chatting with them (F12).
Some people will go straight to hell.
With VIP ticket and free drinks...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Smile! Life stays the same shit but it's definitely more fun!
The2ndPete

Interesting, so basicely its the first attempt for the sort of open world hmm?:)
Finilie

Yeah. The next releases are tying the database and the game together so you can actually go shopping and use that equipment in game.
Well, and other stuff like persistent entity IDs over multiple instances to allow tracking of players/ships, backbone work, more landing sites apart from that Area 18. The boring stuff you need to build a working universe, you know...
The2ndPete

I got the invitation to the PTu, downloaded 30 GB (6hrs with my connection) and when I wanted to get into it, they put up it on the live servers. :(
Word of advice: Just copy your PTU data folder over to the normal game folder. This took me less than 2 minutes instead of another 6 hours.

For ArcCorp itself: As Pete said, it is still pretty lifeless. You run around and admire the pretty graphics and the stuff in the stores. The chat is intergrated in AC right now too but no one seems to be using it.
Kickstart

I think the chat largely depends on whom you're in one instance with.
I had some folks discussing how to clip through the glass doors in the customs area to get onto the landing pad as well as trying to get someone off the M50 in the Astro Armada showroom he managed to clip on.
Was quite funny. But then on other times it's like talking to your squad in Planetside: you'll get more meaningful conversations from 3-year-olds on sugar overdose when asking them for financial feasibility of interstellar travel...
The2ndPete

The2ndPete wrote:you'll get more meaningful conversations from 3-year-olds on sugar overdose when asking them for financial feasibility of interstellar travel...

Sounds like you tried that once... ;-)
“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.” ― Terry Pratchett
"less complaining, more killing" ― Finilie
GBX, because banter is our weapon of choice
t0di

I meant the chat in Arena Commander, not in ArcCorp. You can also bring up the chat window there.
Kickstart

Return to News