Star Citizen - P52 Merlin on sale

Outfit- and General- News Section

After some well deserved time in the Public Test Universe the P-52 Merlin went on sale today.
Originally the small onboard fighter for the Constellation-variants Andromeda and Aquila the snub fighter is now on sale as a stand alone ship.
Since this is not a concept sale -although it has been reworked a LOT until it arrived at todays visuals- it comes without LTI and is also not intended as a starter ship.
The Merlin is small, fast and agile while not being a dedicated fighter.
Though sporting a centerline Gatling cannon and a formidable maneuverability the role is more to delay the enemy until the cavalry arrives and mops the floor.

The low price of only $20 comes from three things as far as I can tell:
- not much in versatility or upgrade options (small power plant)
- no jump drive since it's intended to ride piggy back (though there IS a slot for "additional equipment")
- no cargo space and single pilot only

It's sold as just that: small, maneuverable fighter which is intended for reconnaissance and light skirmishes with a leg in racing thanks to both speed and maneuverability.
A pleasant turn in my opinion from the "this ship is meant for X but sure it can do Y, Z and a good deal of A to W!" which was the sales pitch for the last (concept) sales.
Some people will go straight to hell.
With VIP ticket and free drinks...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Smile! Life stays the same shit but it's definitely more fun!
The2ndPete

That is true. And it looks really good. I'm tempted to get one, but if I'm honest, I don't know what I would do with it, do probably more something for the PU.
“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.” ― Terry Pratchett
"less complaining, more killing" ― Finilie
GBX, because banter is our weapon of choice
t0di

You won't need to buy one. They're free with Constellations and afaik Baehrserker also has one of these in his hangar...
The2ndPete

You mean I will have the chance to fly one anyway, since he always claims he its rubbish in a fighter? ;-)
“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.” ― Terry Pratchett
"less complaining, more killing" ― Finilie
GBX, because banter is our weapon of choice
t0di

Is the Merlin rentable with REC?
Kickstart

Yes it is.
2000 REC for the usual 7-day-period (where RSI really only counts the days you're actually using the ship and unlike an other online games company who thought about doing that for their real-world-money-paying members but never did).
Which is 1000 REC cheaper than an Aurora LX and double the price of a proper shield generator (INK-MARK 204-ID for 1k REC).

But as of now they are comparing the start of the Merlin to the Mustangs "back in the day". The Merlin is now able to accelerate with 20G (laterally) and is openly said to be bound for an adjustment.
The2ndPete

Return to News